Character Limit (Emote)

Have an idea for the game? Something you'd like to see improved? This is where you should post it.
Shujin
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Character Limit (Emote)

Post by Shujin » Sat May 06, 2017 4:51 am

I don´t know why this suggestion took so long to make but after hitting the Limit with one post 3 times in a row and had to search the bits out with crtl+arrowup in that tiny window there I sorta ....Got annoyed.

Can we please, please, please have either some indication when you actually hit the limit in the small text box like...it´s not keeping to write, or actually get an increased character Limit...Or best...Both. Option for a textbox would also be nice, for proofreading. Anything, that makes wirting larger posts not a chore.

It´s annoying to have always prematurely send the message or do some other nasty back and forth copying because you are afraid it eats half your text.

Spoops
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Re: Character Limit (Emote)

Post by Spoops » Sat May 06, 2017 5:30 am

You could have it stop inputting any more text after a certain number has been hit (the character limit)

That way you at least know when it happens.

Shujin
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Post by Shujin » Sat May 06, 2017 5:39 am

Yeah, anything is fine, really. But while we are at it we could also make it nicer overall.

Just SOMETHING would be nice.

Shujin
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Post by Shujin » Tue May 30, 2017 11:34 pm

*Push*

Since it seems to be forgotten, anything would be fine, even if just a X/2000 Characters counter at bottom right corner. Though increasing the Limit itself would also be appriciated.

Nanovelich
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Nanovelich » Wed May 31, 2017 12:09 am

To the counter suggestion: Is this actually done on other games? I don't remember ever having seen it done elsewhere, except in windows that are actually browser windows. Otherwise, it's probably a BYOND limitation.

As for stopping you when you hit the limit: I do know you can set emote windows to be much larger input windows that allow for linebreaks and also stop allowing you to type once a limit is reach, at least I remember them doing so. I may be wrong on that.

Neus
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Neus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:33 pm

I don't know if there's a great solution for this aside from suggesting you open up notepad and type big paragraphs in there. I don't think there's an easy or simple solution within the confines of BYOND at the moment.

Shujin
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Post by Shujin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:27 am

But even the Dragon ball games handle this part better o.o

It´s simple "Click Emote-> Window opens!" Thats a lot better for proofreading and stuff.

And I mean you should be capable of increasing the character Limit a bit, or not?

Spoops
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Post by Spoops » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:24 pm

The current emote window serves a similar purpose, you have to just enter "Emote" with no text after, but the window for the current emote window is pretty small, if maybe it was a little larger.

Shujin
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Post by Shujin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Yeah it´s to small for really proofreading, in the other games you have enough to have a good portion of text in your view able to read without navigating left and right with arrow keys. I mean even without that textbox you can do the same on the bottom corner. It´s just a bit annoying to navigate left and right so that I usually do not bother. And I am veeeeery vulnerable to those typos as you all know *cough*.

Snake
Posted to Death
Posted to Death

Post by Snake » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:27 pm

Just compare the Emote tab with Write Page tabs.

I think what Shujin wants here is it to be equal to the profile writing page. So... Whenever you type 'Emote' and press enter, this appears:

instead of the current:

Am I right?
"Show me what you've got, Snake!"
Image ~ Dev, 08/16/2016.